Back to Green Computing main page
[*]: Recommended papers
[**]: Already scheduled for presentation
Green data Center
- N. T. Zephyr: A model-based approach to optimizing cooling for power efficiency in blade
enclosures. In Proceedings of HP Techcon (May 2009).
- BANERJEE, P., PATEL, C., BASH, C., AND RANGANATHAN, P. Sustainable data centers: Enabled by supply and demand side management. In Proceedings of the 46th Design Automation Conference (DAC) (July 2009).
- [*]CHASE, J., ANDERSON, D., THAKAR, P., VAHDAT, A., AND DOYLE, R. Managing energy and server resources in hosting centers. In Proceedings of the Eighteenth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP) (October 2001), pp. 103–116.
- [*]CHEN, A., DAS, W., QIN, A., SIVASUBRAMANIAM, A., WANG, Q., AND GAUTAM, N. Managing server energy and operational costs in hosting centers. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (June 2005).
- [*]CHOI, J., KIM, Y., SIVASUBRAMANIAM, A., SREBRIC, J., WANG, Q., AND LEE, J. Modeling and managing thermal profiles of rack-mounted servers with thermostat. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA) (February 2007).
- DEAN, J., AND GHEMAWAT, S. Mapreduce: Simplified data processing on large clusters. In OSDI (2004), pp. 137–150.
- Google efficient data center summit. http://www.google.com/corporate/green/datacenters/summit.html , April 2009.
- Google green data center: Data center efficiency measurements. http://www.google.com/corporate/green/datacenters/measuring.html , 2009.
- HAMILTON, J. Architecture for modular data centers. In Proceedings of the 3rd Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), Asilomar, CA (January 2007).
- [*]MALONE, C., VINSON, W., AND BASH, C. Data center tco benefits of reduced system airflow. In Prpc. of 11th Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (May 2008), pp. 1199–1202.
- MCALLISTER, S., CAREY, V., SHAH, A., BASH, C., AND PATEL, C. Strategies for effective use of exergy-based modeling of data center thermal management systems. Microelectronics Journal 39, 7 (2008), 1023–1029.
- [*]MOORE, J., CHASE, J., AND RANGANATHAN, P. Making scheduling “cool”: Temperature-aware workload placement in data centers. In Proc. of the 2005 USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX ’05) (April 2005).
- [*]MOORE, J., CHASE, J., AND RANGANATHAN, P. ConSil: Low-cost Thermal Mapping of Data Centers.
In Proc. of FirstWorkshop on Tackling Computer Systems Problems with Machine Learning Techniques
(SysML) (June 2006).
- [*]MOORE, J., CHASE, J., AND RANGANATHAN, P. Weatherman: Automated, online, and predictive
thermal mapping and management for data centers. In Proceedings of the Third IEEE International
Conference on Autonomic Computing (June 2006).
- [*]MOORE, J., SHARMA, R., SHIH, R., CHASE, J., PATEL, C., AND RANGANATHAN, P. Going beyond
cpus: The potential of temperature-aware solutions for the data center. In Proc. of the First Workshop
on Temperature-Aware Computer Systems (TACS-1) (June 2004).
- [**]RANGANATHAN, P., LEECH, P., IRWIN, D., AND CHASE, J. Ensemble-level power management for
dense blade servers. In International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA) (June 2006).
- REED, D. Data center power management: Thoughts for the future. In NSF Workshop on Science of
Power Management, Arlington VA (April 2009).
- [*]SHAH, A., PATEL, C., BASH, C., SHARMA, R., AND SHIH, R. Impact of rack-level compaction on
the data center cooling ensemble. In Proc. of IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical
Phenomena in Electronic Systems (I-THERM ’08) (2008), pp. 1175–1182.
- [*]SHARMA, R., BASH, C., PATEL, C., FRIEDRICH, R., AND CHASE, J. Balance of power: Dynamic
thermal management for internet data centers. IEEE Internet Computing 9, 1 (January 2005), 42–49.
- [*]WANG, Z., ZHU, X., MCCARTHY, C., RANGANATHAN, P., AND TALWAR, V. Feedback control
algorithms for power management of servers. In Third International Workshop on Feedback Control
Implementation and Design in Computing Systems and Networks (FeBID) (June 2008).
- [**]WEISER, M., WELCH, B., DEMERS, A., AND SHENKER, S. Scheduling for reduced cpu energy.
In Proceedings of the 1st USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation
(OSDI’94), Monterey, CA (November 1994), pp. 13–23.
- [*]ZHU, X., SANTOS, C., BEYER, D., WARD, J., AND SINGHAL, S. Automated application component
placement in data centers using mathematical programming. International Journal of Network
Management 18 (2008), 467–483.
- [*]B. Lubin, D. Parkes, J. Kephart and R. Das, Expressive power-based resource allocation for data centers . Accepted to IJCAI-09 (International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence), 2009.
- [*]R. Das, J. Kephart, C. Lefurgy, G. Tesauro, D. Levine and H. Chan, Autonomic Multi-Agent Management of Power and Performance in Data Centers. In Proceedings of Autonomous Agents and Multi-agent Systems, 2008, pp. 107-114.
- [*]M. Steinder, I. Whalley, J. Hanson, and J. Kephart. Coordinated management of powerusage and runtime performance . In Proceedings of Network Operation and Management Symposium, 2008, pp. 387-394.
- [**]D. Kusic, J. Kephart, J. Hanson, N. Kandasamy and G. Jiang, Power and performance management of virtualized computing environments via lookahead control , Cluster Computing vol. 11 no. 4, pp. 341-354, 2008. Expanded from article in Proceedings of ICAC2008
- [*]Gerald Tesauro, Rajarshi Das, Hoi Chan, Jeffrey Kephart, David Levine, Freeman Rawson, and Charles Lefurgy, Managing Power Consumption and Performance of Computing Systems Using Reinforcement Learning . In Proceedings of the Neural Information Processing Systems Conference (NIPS), 2007, pp 1497-1504.
- [*]Jeffrey O. Kephart, Hoi Chan, Rajarshi Das, David W. Levine, Gerald Tesauro, Freeman Rawson, and Charles Lefurgy, Coordinating multiple autonomic managers to achieve specified power-performance tradeoffs . In Proceedings of International Conference on Autonomic Computing, 2007, pp. 24-33.
- Armand Keim, A Roadmap to Data Center Greening, White paper; Polytechnic Institute of NYU.
- [**]Brandon Heller, David Underhill, Srinivasan Seetharaman, Nick McKeown, ElasticTree: Saving Energy in Data Center Networks, (long version)
- Chistopher Stewart (The Ohio State University), and Kai Shen (University of Rochester) "Some Joules Are More Precious Than Others: Managing Renewable Energy in the Datacenter"
- [*]Kien Le (Rutgers University), Ricardo Bianchini (Rutgers University), Margaret Martonosi (Princeton University) and Thu D. Nguyen (Rutgers University), "Cost- and Energy-Aware Load Distribution Across Data Centers "
- [*]Byung-Gon Chun (Intel Research Berkeley), Gianluca Iannaccone (Intel Research Berkeley), Giuseppe Iannaccone (University of Pisa), Randy Katz (UC Berkeley), Gunho Lee (UC Berkeley), and Luca Niccolini (University of Pisa), "An Energy Case for Hybrid Datacenters"
- Workshop on Power Aware Computing and Systems(HotPower '09)
- James Hamilton, "Data Center Efficiency Best Practices", Data Center Efficiency Summit, April 2009
- [**]V. Valancius (Georgia Institute of Technology), N. Laoutaris (Telefonica Research), L. Massoulie, C. Diot (Thomson), P. Rodriguez (Telefonica Research),Greening the Internet with Nano Data Centers, ACM CoNEXT 2009
- [**] Lauri Minas and Brad Ellison, The Problem of Power Consumption in Servers, Dr. Dobb's Journal, May 05, 2009,
- LANGE, J., AND DINDA, P. Transparent network services via a virtual traffic layer for virtual machines. In Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC 2007) (June 2007).
- The green-e climate protocol for renewable energy. http://www.green-e.org.
- The Dartmouth green lite project. http://greenlite.dartmouth.edu.
- GROUP, T. C. Smart 2020: Enabling the low carbon economy in the digital age. http://www.smart2020.org.
- [**]NEDEVSCHI, S., POPA, L., IANNACCONE, G., RATNASAMY, S., AND WETHERALL, D. Reducing
network energy consumption via sleeping and rate-adaptation. In Proceedings of NSDI 2008 (2008).
- [**]NEDEVSCHI, S., RATNASAMY, S., CHANDRASHEKAR, J., NORDMAN, B., AND TAFT, N. Skilled
in the art of being idle: Reducing energy waste in networked systems. In Proceedings of NSDI 2009
- [*]URGAONKAR, B., ROSENBERG, A., AND SHENOY, P. Application placement on a cluster of servers.
In Proceedings of the 17th Intl. Conference of Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems, San Francisco,
CA (September 2004).
- [*]URGAONKAR, B., SHENOY, P., AND ROSCOE, T. Resource overbooking and application profiling in
shared hosting platforms. In Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Operating Systems Design and
Implementation (OSDI), Boston, MA (December 2002), pp. 239–254.
- [*]WOOD, T., SHENOY, P., VENKATARAMANI, A., AND YOUSIF, M. Black-box and gray-box strategies
for virtual machine migration. In Proceedings of the Usenix Symposium on Networked System Design
and Implementation (NSDI), Cambridge, MA (April 2007).
- [*]WOOD, T., TARASUK-LEVIN, G., SHENOY, P., DESNOYERS, P., CECCHET, E., AND CORNER, M.
Memory buddies: Exploiting page sharing for smart colocation in virtualized data centers. In Proceedings
of the International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE’09) (April 2009),
- Elth Ogston, Astrid Zeman, Mikhail Prokopenko and Geoff James, Clustering Distributed Energy Resources for Large-Scale Demand Management
- [*]Chris Marnay and Owen C. Bailey, The CERTS Microgrid and the Future of the Macrogrid, August 2004
- [*]GRIT, L., IRWIN, D., , YUMEREFENDI, A., AND CHASE, J. Virtual machine hosting for networked clusters: Building the foundations for autonomic orchestration. In In the First International Workshop on Virtualization Technology in Distributed Computing (VTDC) (November 2006).
- [**]MAHADEVAN, P., SHARMA, P., BANERJEE, S., AND RANGANATHAN, P. Energy aware network operations. In Proc. pf IEEE Global Internet Symposium (April 2009).
- NELSON, M., LIM, B.-H., AND HUTCHINS, G. Fast Transparent Migration for Virtual Machines. In
USENIX Annual Technical Conference (2005).
- NORDMAN, B. Networks, energy, and energy efficiency. Cisco Green Research Symposium, March
- OSMAN, S., SUBHRAVETI, D., SU, G., AND NIEH, J. The design and implementation of zap: A system for migrating computing environments, December 2002.
- [*]SAPUNTZAKIS, C. P., CHANDRA, R., PFAFF, B., CHOW, J., LAM, M. S., AND ROSENBLUM, M.
Optimizing the migration of virtual computers. In Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Operating
Systems Design and Implementation (December 2002).
- SHAH, A., AND KRISHNAN, N. Optimization of global data center thermal management workload
for minimal environmental and economic burden. IEEE Transactions on Components and Packaging
Technologies 31, 1 (2008), 39–45.
- [**]Reducing Network Energy Consumption via Sleeping and Rate-Adaptation. Sergiu Nedevschi, Lucian Popa , Gianluca Iannaccone, Sylvia Ratnasamy, David Wetherall. NSDI 2008.
- [**]Ganesh Ananthanarayanan and Randy H. Katz, Greening the Switch, EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Technical Report No. UCB/EECS-2008-114
- [*] Maruti Gupta, Suresh Singh, Greening of the Internet, Proceedings of the 2003 conference on Applications, technologies, architectures, and protocols for computer communications
- [*] Energy Efficient Digital Networks, Energy Analysis Department, Environmental Energy Technologies Division, E.O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (2009)
- DESNOYERS, P., GANESAN, D., AND SHENOY, P. Tsar: A two tier storage architecture using interval skip graphs. In Proceedings of the Third ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys), San Diego, CA (November 2005).
- DIAO, Y., GANESAN, D., MATHUR, G., AND SHENOY, P. Re-thinking data management in storagecentric sensor networks. In Proceedings of the Third Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR) (2007).
- [**]GRAEFE, G. The five-minute rule 20 years later (and how flash memory changes the rules). Commun. ACM 52, 7 (2009), 48–59.
- [*]GRAY, J., AND FITZGERALD, B. Flash disk opportunity for server applications. ACM Queue 6, 4 (2008), 18–23.
- [*]KIM, Y., GURUMURTHI, S., AND SIVASUBRAMANIAM, A. Understanding the performancetemperature interactions in disk i/o of server workloads. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA) (February 2006).
- [*]MATHUR, G., DESNOYERS, P., GANESAN, D., AND SHENOY, P. Capsule: An energy-optimized object storage system for memory-constrained sensor devices. In Fourth ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys). (November 2006).
- MATHUR, G., DESNOYERS, P., GANESAN, D., AND SHENOY, P. Ultra-low power data storage for sensor networks. In Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN’06). Special Track on Platform Tools and Design Methods for Network Embedded Sensors (SPOTS) (April 2006).
- [**]David G. Andersen, Jason Franklin, Michael Kaminsky, Amar Phanishayee, Lawrence Tan, Vijay Vasudevan, FAWN: A Fast Array of Wimpy Nodes, SOSP 2009
Green Energy & Power Management
- Voluntary reporting of greenhouse gases. DOE EIA Report, http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/1605.
- [*]RUTH, P., RHEE, J., XU, D., KENNELL, R., AND GOASGUEN, S. Autonomic Live Adaptation of
Virtual Computational Environments in a Multi-Domain Infrastructure. In IEEE International Conference
on Autonomic Computing (ICAC) (June 2006).
- SMARR, L. Digital infrastructure in a carbon-constrained world (MS PowerPoint). In NSF Workshop on Science of
Power Management, Arlington VA (April 2009).
- [**]TOLIA, N., WANG, Z., RANGANATHAN, P., BASH, C., MARWAH, M., AND ZHU, X. Unified thermal
and power management in server enclosures. In Proceedings of the ASME/Pacific Rim Technical
Conference and Exhibition (InterPACK ’09) (July 2009).
- [**]YUAN, W., AND NAHRSTEDT, K. Energy-efficient soft real-time cpu scheduling for mobile multimedia
systems. In Proceedings of the 19th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP’03),
Bolton Landing, NY (October 2003), pp. 149–163.
- [*]A. Gandhi, M. Harchol-Balter, R. Das, J. Kephart, C. Lefurgy, Power Capping via ForcedIdleness . Accepted to WEED 2009 (Workshop on Energy-Efficient Design), 2009.
- [**]A. Gandhi, M. Harchol-Balter, R. Das and C. Lefurgy, Optimal Power Allocation in Server Farms . Accepted to SIGMETRICS 2009 . Expanded version including proofs can be found at http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/2009/CMU-CS-09-113.pdf .
- The Berkeley Lab Reports Catalog- Case Studies of State Support for Renewable Energy
- [**]Asfandyar Qureshi, Rick Weber, Hari Balakrishnan, John Guttag, Bruce Maggs, Cutting the Electric Bill for Internet-Scale Systems, SIGCOMM’09, August 17–21, 2009, Barcelona, Spain
- [**]Luiz André Barroso and Urs Hölzle, The Case for Energy-Proportional Computing, IEEE Computer, vol. 40 (2007).
- [**]Zhikui Wang, Cullen Bash, Niraj Tolia, Manish Marwah, Xiaoyun Zhu†, Parthasarathy Ranganathan, OPTIMAL FAN SPEED CONTROL FOR THERMAL MANAGEMENT OF SERVERS, Proceedings of the ASME/Pacific Rim Technical Conference and Exhibition on Packaging and Integration of Electronic and Photonic Systems, MEMS, and NEMS, InterPACK ’09
Computing for Greening
- [*]Chris Marnay, Joseph S. Chard, Kristina S. Hamachi, Timothy Lipman, Mithra M. Moezzi, Boub keur Ouaglal, and Afzal S. Siddiqui, Modeling of Customer Adoption of Distributed Energy Resources, Prepared for the California Energy Commission.
- [*]Jiaming Li, Geoff Poulton, Geoff James, Astrid Zzeman, Peter Wang, Matthew Chadwick, Mahendra Rajah Piraveenan, Performance of Multi-agent Coordination of Distributed Energy Resources, Proceedings of the 2007 WSEAS International Conference on Computer Engineering and Applications, Gold Coast, Australia, January 17-19, 2007
- [*]B. Kl¨ockl, P. Stricker, G. Koeppel, On the properties of stochastic power sources in combination with local energy storage, CIGRE Symposium on power systems with dispersed generation, 13-16 april 2005, Athens
- [*]Michael Stadler, Chris Marnay, Afzal Siddiqui, Judy Lai, Brian Coffey, and Hirohisa Aki, Effect of Heat and Electricity Storage and Reliability on Microgrid Viability: A Study of Commercial Buildings in California and New York States, Berkeley Lab Reports, Environmental Energy Technologies Division
Back to Green Computing main page