Distributed Operating Systems: Readungs
Note: AST refers to the Tanebaum text, 2nd ed
- Lecture 2: OS and Distributed System Structures
- A. Tannenbaum "Can we make operating systems reliable and secure?", IEEE Computer
- Tanenbaum on
- Also read Linus Torvalds vs. Tannenbaum debate on OS kernels
- Lecture 4: Distributed Scheduling
- D. Cheriton, The V Distributed System, Comm. of the ACM
31(3):314-333, March 1988.
- F. Douglis and J. Osterhout, Transparent Process Migration: Design Alternatives and the Sprite Implementation, Software-Practice and Experience, vol 21(8), 757–785, Aug 1991.
- Lecture 5: Virtualization
- M. Rosenblum, T. Garfinkel, Virtual machine monitors: current technology and future trends, IEEE Computer, 38:5, May 2005.
- Paul Barham, Boris Dragovic, Keir Fraser, Steven Hand, Tim Harris, Alex Ho, Rolf Neugebauer, Ian Pratt, and Andrew Warfield, Xen and the art of Virtualization, Proc. of SOSP, October 2003
- Lecture 6: Process and code migration
- Refer to Sprite paper from Lecture 4 for sprite process migration.
- Live migration of virtual machines. Proc of NSDI 2005.
This page is online at http://lass.cs.umass.edu/~shenoy/courses/677/lectures.html
Last modified: Wed Jan 22 06:54:21 EST 2014